Sunday, July 11, 2010

Just Peachy



This morning as I was making coffee, the scent of ripe peaches was in the air. It's summer in Texas, which means it's peach season. I bought a basket of them at the farmer's market yesterday, and they looked so pretty in a bowl with the similarly colored heirloom tomatoes and nectarines. And the smell was divine.

Sometimes I find amazing produce and am inspired to cook something to show it off. Tomatoes at their peak get turned into a beautiful tart, or spring greens get a quick saute with garlic and olive oil. But in this case, the peaches were so perfect that all I could think to do with them was eat them, just as they were. So I did, and it was everything its scent promised it would be: sweet, with syrupy nectar, still firm enough to bite into without squishing, delicious.

A few hours and three cups of coffee later, I was still thinking about those peaches. I needed something more substantial, but wanted to keep it fresh and light and cool (it's already 90 degrees at 10 am). So I made my favorite breakfast. It's nothing too special, but I never get bored with it even though I eat it, more or less, every single day. I stir some local honey into a scoop of Greek Yogurt, then top with fruit, and sometimes a little sprinkling of homemade granola if I have some on hand.



It is so simple, yet so delicious. It is a great way to use summer fruit, and you can tailor it to your tastes. I like a little honey for flavor and to soften the sour yogurt a bit, but I do like to maintain a little tang to counter the sweet fruit. You have to find your own balance, and that is part of what makes it so much fun.



Is this the most exciting recipe you'll ever try? Likely not, but it is really, really good.

Greek Yogurt with Honey and Fruit

The best part of this is that you can change out the fruit to use what is in season. It is equally good with pears and a dash of cinnamon in the fall or ripe berries in the spring. Make it however you like, just have fun! Serves one.

1 cup Greek Yogurt (I like Fage 0% or 2%)
1-2 teaspoons of good local honey, or to taste
1 ripe peach
1/4 cup quartered strawberries
A small handful of blueberries, for color
A sprinkling of homemade granola (optional)

Stir the yogurt and honey in a bowl (the one you plan to eat out of), and top with fruit and granola. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment