Sunday, June 24, 2012

You Need To Try This

I do not love cleaning my house, but I love having a clean house. I love relaxing, and am actually able to fully unwind, with a sparkling clean house devoid of clutter. My Sunday morning thanks my Saturday morning for that. Because today, I sat in my sun room with a cup of coffee and my iPad newspaper, and there wasn’t anything that distracted me and got me up to straighten and putter. It was lovely.

When we ran to the store on Saturday for a few odds and ends for dinner, Peter had the foresight to grab a small loaf of brioche to make French toast for breakfast. I was in no hurry, and we lazily sat and sipped our coffee.

But eventually, we got hungry, and were looking forward to the French toast. In my refreshed and caffeinated state, I had a stroke of brilliance. Brown sugar cinnamon butter.



I cannot take credit for this delicious creation. That goes to Austin Java, a local coffee chain that also has a solid breakfast and lunch menu. Though honestly, I’m mostly just familiar with the French toast. Theirs is two thick slices of bread, served with an compound butter. At first, I didn’t realize what I had in store. In a small, white paper cup was a bit of brownish butter. Not one to be shy about slathering my breakfast in butter, I smeared some on. I’m not a big fan of syrup, so I left it at that and took a bite. The toast was good, but OH-MY-GOODNESS, that butter!

After several trips back for French toast, Peter and I took to calling it “crack butter” for its addictive nature. It seems utterly impossible to not use every last bit that is served to you. It makes you want to lick your plate. It is seriously good.



So as I started to slice the bread for French toast this morning, I was thinking that while I love cinnamon French toast, when you just put cinnamon in the custard it never really incorporates and there really isn’t a pronounced cinnamon flavor. That’s when I remembered the crack butter, and I thought, “how hard can it be?” Turns out, not that hard.

I immediately took out a stick of butter to soften. I whisked some eggs with cream and vanilla and sliced the brioche. Then I started whipping the butter with brown sugar and cinnamon. At first it didn’t pack enough of a punch, so I added more.



After soaking the bread and cooking the French toast, we spread on the butter. Peter did so with gusto, I was a little more conservative. But after two bites, I was back for more. For something so easy, it sure was delicious. I ate mine with just the butter, though Peter used just a bit of maple syrup.

The best part? We have leftover butter in the fridge, just waiting for another lazy Sunday French toast day.




Brioche French Toast with Brown Sugar Cinnamon Butter
Serves 2-3 people, depending on the size of your loaf of bread. The butter will serve 8.
Challah is an excellent substitute if you cannot find brioche, but any good quality bread will work. The French toast recipe is very flexible, so use your best judgment based on how much bread you have and how many people you are serving.

Brown Sugar Cinnamon Butter

1 stick butter, softened
2 Tablespoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons Cinnamon

Beat the butter with the brown sugar and cinnamon, until fully incorporated. Will keep in the refrigerator for several weeks, if you can resist eating it for that long.

Brioche French Toast

1 small loaf Brioche, sliced about ¾ inch thick
3-4 large eggs
¼ cup, or less, heavy cream, half-and-half or whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Butter, for cooking

Heat a skillet or griddle to medium heat. Soak each piece of bread on both sides in egg custard for a few minutes, or until softened. Butter the griddle generously. It is okay if the butter browns a little bit, since this helps you get a beautiful golden crust. But do not let it burn. Cook each piece of bread for 2 minutes or so on each side, or until nicely browned and cooked through.

Serve while hot with the brown sugar cinnamon butter, and do not be shy to use it liberally. Licking your plate clean afterwards is not only acceptable, but a huge help to the cook (an extra bonus if that is YOU!).

1 comment:

  1. another great recipe laura! the butter was great. i've also had nutella butter. imagine how great nutalla and butter are alone. now imagine them together.

    ReplyDelete