Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A good Delicata Squash recipe...

I have had this recipe all typed up for more than two weeks, and kept waiting for the right story to tell with it. It would have made a nice, light side dish for Thanksgiving, but I just didn’t get around to finishing this in time. It’s a busy time of year for work, which is a terrible excuse, but there you go. Instead of devoting my spare bits of free time to writing, I plopped onto the couch and watched Glee on my TiVo.



I suppose the story for this one is simple: I liked it. It was really good, really easy, and I thought you might like it, too. I’m sorry it’s too late for Thanksgiving, but perhaps it will be enjoyed during this hectic holiday season when healthy eating sometimes seems completely impossible.



Cider Glazed Delicata Squash

I used mulled cider for this because that is what I like to drink; any fresh apple cider or juice would work fine. If you don't have wine open to cook with, you can use a half cup of cider instead.

1 medium Delicata Squash, peeled, seeded, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons Olive Oil, divided
¼ cup white wine
¼ cup Apple Cider
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add half of olive oil to pan, then add half of squash and arrange in a single layer in the pan. Allow squash to brown, about 5 minutes on the first side and 2-3 minutes on the second side. Do not move them around too much so they can get a nice sear. They will cook again, so they don’t need to be cooked all the way at this point.

When the first batch is done, remove them to a bowl, and repeat with the second batch. When the second batch is finished, add the first batch back in, and deglaze with white wine. Cook for a minute, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan, and then add the cider. Toss the squash frequently for a few more minutes until the liquid has reduced and you have a nice glaze on the squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment