Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What I love about you, Austin

One of my favorite things about Austin, Texas is the seriously good Mexican food. After living here for a few months, I am in no way an expert, but we have found some delicious Mex and Tex-Mex. In fact, it's safe to say that my husband pretty much wants one or the other every time we go out to eat.

For good reason. I used to think that corn tortillas were dry and flavorless. But our fist taco experience here in Austin, at Maria's Taco Xpress completely converted me. Their house made tortillas are the best I've ever had. They are smoky and are fresh, moist and pliable, with a hint of sweetness. They taste like corn! In fact, they are so good that I find my favorite fillings are the simplest: vegetarian black bean with a little bit of pico de gallo is perfect in my mind. My husband, however, disagrees, and says that the al pastor are the best. He does have a point about the tender pork with a bit of crust from the carmelized sugars from the pineapple. Rich and meaty, these are excellent with extra salsa. But I would be just as happy eating plain, warm, fresh corn tortillas.

Another favorite for interior Mexican is Curra's. On a recent visit, I had the vegetarian tacos which were out of this world. They had nopalitos (cactus), veggie chorizo, and mushrooms. This vegetarian chorizo was incredible; even my husband agreed that it was fantastic: flavorful and with the mushrooms, very meaty tasting. But it was the nopalitos that stole the show, as they should have. They were tender, delicious and refreshing, and I still am dreaming about eating more of them. Sadly, the corn tortillas were a bit lacking, but if I could smuggle in some of Maria's, it would be a perfect dish.

I'm sure we'll have a lot more great Mexican food, but so far these are big favorites. If you're in Austin, or were here for a visit, and have other suggestions, we're always looking for an excuse for Mexican.

Oh, and I'm hoping to try to make some homemade tortillas one of these days, so stay tuned...I may be sharing a recipe soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment